top of page

Making a Complaint

If you are unhappy with any of the services which have been provided to you, we will aim to rectify the problem right away. If you are unhappy with our initial response and wish to make a formal complaint, please put your complaint in writing. This can be either a letter or an email and we will endeavour to investigate and resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Contact details are available on the 'Contact Us' link

bottom of page